Problem of slow internet speed happened to me several times in the office when i tried to connect to my corporate network via VPN from Windows 7 .Every time I want to play music on Youtube or check my twitter account , I was obligated to disconnect from it to boost my internet speed.
After few searches, I found that this issue is related to Split Tunneling.
What’s Split tunneling?
Split tunneling is a computer network concept which allows users to access their corporate network (Mail servers, GIT repositories, Web servers …) as well as public internet network at the same time.
In other words, if Split Tunneling is enabled, you can access Youtube.com and https://10.1.0.40 (Mail server of the company I’m working on) at the same time without problems.
Why I can’t surf normally on the web ?
Because All the Internet traffic gets routed through the default gateway on the remote network and this take too much time than using the local getway.
Solution : Disabling Default Gateway on Remote Network
To disable the Use Default Gateway on Remote Network setting in the VPN dial-up connection item on the client computer:
- Click on start button
- Type View Network Connections in the search bar and enter:
- Right-click the VPN connection that you want to change, and then click Properties :
- Click the Networking tab, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list, and then click Properties:
- Click Advanced:
- Then click to clear the Use default gateway on remote network check box:
- Click OK on all opened windows to confirm the modification.
An other way to do it is explained below,step 1 starts from bottom right of the picture :
If you are using another VPN client, check the section related to split tunneling in its documentation.
Have something to share with us to improve internet speed during VPN connection on Windows 7 or higher , please use the comment section below.